Thursday 18 June 2015

Miniatures: Infinity - Nomad Alguaciles special weapons


So this week I am looking at and building the Infinity Nomad Alguacile Special Weapons box set.
I know I'm not the first and I expect I won't be the last to review this; so here are my views.                                  
As you can see the box set consists of two men (Missle Launcher and Sniper rifle) and two women (HMG & Combi rifle with light grenade launcher). The two male bodies are identical as are the two female. So there's no confusion as to which heads & arms fit which bodies, which is good as the heads and arms are in one bag grouped by sex.


Each model consists of 5 parts: body, head, left arm, right arm and backpack

What will you need to put these together:
  • Clippers
  • Craft knife
  • Superglue
  • and patience: the likes of which hasn't been seen since before the invent of broadband
So lets look at each type:

Missile launcher
As you can see, a little bit of flash but nothing my clippers and craft knife would struggle with.

Once cleared of flash I decided to start with the head. The head has a hole to fit the "peg" that's on the neck, so after a quick dry fit (and by consulting the picture on the box) I understood which way it was to go (there is only one way) and applied superglue, then ensued several minutes of annoyance and pain as the head refused to stick, rolling off, sticking to my fingers etc. Eventually it stayed where it was supposed to. 
Following the experience of the head I expected the multi-part arms to be a lot more painful; so I was pleasantly surprised when the arms just popped into place and glued nicely. As did the backpack


Sniper rifle















As per the missile launcher there wasn't much flash, again a few clips and cuts removed it all.

Learning nothing from the missile launcher model I started with the head, and I experienced the same issue of it not staying in place, for what felt like several minutes before it did.

Next was the arms, they were a little fiddly as I tried to position then as per the slot in the body with the peg on the arm and the picture. After a few sticky moves the arms fitted, which again was less painful than the head.

Then I just popped the backpack on.

HMG
The flash was again minimal and took no time in removing. 

Looking back at the picture of this innocent model sitting casually upon my cutting mat I can now see the pain it was going to cause me...

Aaaaaagh! Aaaaaaaaaaagh! and Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh! some more. This model was a pain in the posterior! 

Firstly the head encountered the same issue as above but it took longer, a LOT longer! rolling off, not fitting snugly, sticking to my fingers (both with the glue applied and because the "buns" compress into my skin) not co-operating at all! So when it did finally fit it was a minor victory, but little did I know that the battle may have been won but the war was far from over!

Next the arms, fiddly thin, pain in the backside arms! They wouldn't fit in the slot correctly, when they did fit they wouldn't stick to anything but my fingers! After almost rage quitting, I took a minor break and came back to it, where everything just fitted perfectly and the result it a beautiful model. The pain before still haunts my dreams.  

Even the backpack fell off a couple of times!


Combi rifle with light grenade launcher
I would say that this model had less flash than the rest.

Like before, I experienced a little issue with the head, but more with the position as it never looked right, but it stuck and I settled for how it stayed.

The arms where a little fiddly, but nothing, NOTHING like the HMG <shudders> again the only issue I encountered was getting the position correct.

Then, like the men, I just popped the backpack on.


So here we have it, the four special weapon teams for my Infinity Alguaciles.

So what have I learnt from this experience
  • I don't like multi-part models without the option of multi-position, what's the point? Or maybe I just lack the skills to make them multi-position
  • I need modelling tweezers to prevent my fat fingers causing any issues.
  • The end justifies the mean: the pain I endured has resulted in these lovely models
At least this is something to strike off my "to do" list...

2 comments:

  1. Did you clean the parts before assembly? I wonder if that's why you had glue problems with the heads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no but I didn't have issues with the arms, but it's something to bear in mind next time,thanks.

    ReplyDelete