Thursday 28 January 2016

Painting: Dropzone Commander - Scourge: Oppressor

So next up on the painting table is the experimental scourge command unit the MECHA CRAB - sorry I mean Oppressor. Yes he will be my command choice for Invasion, which no doubt will be the same for every other scourge player that attends.

Anyway, as always all paints used are Vallejo unless stated otherwise, with the addition of tears again - why! why did I chose this paint scheme, I see lines when I close my eyes! - and gnarled fingers.


Firstly the Oppressor was undercoated with Halfords Matt Black spray, then coated with Hexed Lichen (72.015)


Once the Hexed Lichen had dried Army Painter Dark Tone was heavily applied. After which, once the Dark Tone was dry, Squid pink (72.013) was drybrushed all over.

Then Escorpena Green (72.032) was applied to the vents, sensors and what appears to be cables. Gun Metal (72.054) was added to the rings that coil over the guns and the vent rims

Black (72.051) was then painted on the claws/feet. I chose this black instead of the usual black I use because it has a shine to it and I want the claws/feet to look sinisterly sharp.


Dark Tone was then applied to the vents and cables, as well as the areas that were painted with gun metal. The vents and cables were then drybrushed with Livery green (72.033) once the Dark Tone had dried. The areas painted gun metal were then lightly highlighted with Chainmail silver (72.053).


Next was the hand mangling, tear inducing "exoskeleton" phase. (In light of this my Shaltari force (oh yes, new year new army - coming soon, watch this space) will have a simple scheme). Anyway I digress. Using three different varieties of brush I painstakingly painted each line on the oppressor with Bonewhite (72.034); some were easy and took the direct approach, others I had to be a delicate as holding a butterfly and not killing it. But in the end it was done and I'm happy with the results.

Finally I smothered the majority of the model with Matt Varnish (70.520), apart from the feet/claws on which I used Gloss Varnish (70.510)

No comments:

Post a Comment