Thursday 21 April 2016

Miniatures: Dropzone Commander - Shaltari:Jaguar

Among this months additions to my Shaltari escalation force is a Jaguar, here is my personal review of the model and my experience with building it.

The Packaging

I'm not really going to say much here, as it's the same for all Hawk blister, so I think going forward I'll skip this phase referring to "standard packaging" unless it changes.

The model

The model consists of 10 parts: 3 legs, 2 Gauss cannons, 1 leg-to-body piece (probably has a better name but I'm unsure), 1 twin AA gun, 1 AA turret, 1 cockpit and the main body.

The majority of the detail is exceptional, however some parts are lacking a little: The cockpit is very detailed on top however the underneath is blurred, and less detailed. Nothing big as it's underneath the model but it is a little disappointing.

Building the model

Once the excess resin had been removed (just some resin tags and some mold lines) it was building time!

Lessons had been learnt from building the Coyote and used a combination of superglue in the leg recess, water on the leg ball joint and patience. This worked a lot better than before, happy times.

I checked the gauss cannon holes and notices they had excess resin within, so carefully scraped it out with a craft knife, which allowed the guns to fit better - using the superglue technique mentioned above.

The AA turret was a little tricky, which I was surprised at after recently building 6 plastic Kukri (that's right folks I've bought another starter set). The issue appeared to be that the neck of the turret was wider than the pole which connects the AA guns. So after a little trimming on the turret neck the guns snapped into place, and a little superglue was added to secure them.

Within a fairly short period this Jaguar was built. I haven't glued the AA turret down to allow for all over painting and for ease of transport. I'm considering magnetising it but doing that on the coyote was a pain so I may not...haven't quite decided.

No comments:

Post a Comment